I’m pretty much a sucker for anything that involves Sweet Potato… and cheese… and nuts. So I thought I would create a little recipe combining them all. I made this combo for my dad on a grey afternoon and I wish I took a photo of his face afterwards- he was beaming! It’s also ridiculously easy to make & when I shot this, I didn’t have any Goats cheese so instead used some Blue Cheese that needed using up in the fridge, so feel free to use any cheese you like or simply leave out if you’re after a vegan dish. I then served it with a few slices of avocado, a squeeze of lemon & drizzle of olive oil & it was simply delicious!
Roasting the hazelnuts really brings out their flavour & funnily I’m mildly allergic to them when they’re raw but not when cooked!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- handful of hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- small bunch rosemary
- sea salt
- black pepper
- chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 big handfuls of spinach leaves (or any other leaves you have to hand)
- 50g goats cheese or any other cheese
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 200c
- 2. Chop the sweet potatoes into chunky slices and place in a roasting tray & drizzle with 1tbsp of olive oil, the cinnamon powder, a big pinch of sea salt, pepper, a pinch of chilli flakes & roast for 30 minutes.
- 3. When the potatoes have 10 minutes left, add the rosemary to them and then pop the hazelnuts in a separate roasting tray.
- 4. Remove everything from the oven, roughly chop the hazelnuts (you can remove the skins if you have time/patience) and then throw everything together in a bowl along with the spinach.
- 5. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil, seasoning a little more to your taste, squeeze your lemon juice on & then crumble the cheese all over.
- 6. Serve as a side or a scrummy main with some slices of avocado.