This is absolutely my favourite time of the year! That may sound like an odd thing to say (especially as I’m writing this there is rain chucking down and wind going crazy) but I always feel at my most adventurous at this time of year and it just feels like a time for growth as Spring is slowly creeping up on us and the days are finally getting longer!
Growing up, pancake day was always a huge day in my house. We’ve always been massive pancake lovers and would have them at almost any decent occasion as children. I remember one pancake day we had a lot of friends over and my mum made a mountain of crepes! I had a den at the time and I took about 10 at once to my little hideout and just had some alone time with pancakes… (destined to love food forever).
I’ve also become a little obsessed with turmeric lately. The Deliciously Ella office went through a few obsessions over the past couple of months where we got excited over matcha lattes and then moved on to turmeric milk which sounds extremely strange but is actually so delicious!
Turmeric has been around for hundreds of years and is used predominantly in Asian cooking. It has amazing health benefits and has been said to fight cancer cells, reduce aches and swelling, help with depression and reduce the risk of diabetes.
Ginger is also a powerhouse of a spice! It soothes the digestion system and relieves nausea and works so well with these pancakes and the touch of cardamom.
So here is my little recipe to be cracking on with on Pancake day (or any day). Enjoy them with honey and lemon or even go savoury with some smoked salmon and poached eggs!
– 100g Buckwheat Flour
-1 egg (or chia seed egg)
-250ml plant based milk (I used brown rice)
-1 tsp turmeric powder
– 1/2 tsp grated ginger
-5 cardamom pods (remove seeds and crush with back of knife)
-zest of 1 lemon
-pinch of salt
-1tsp honey (optional)
1. Combine the egg and milk and mix until frothy.
2. In a separate bowl mix the flour, spices, salt and half of the lemon zest.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix as you go.
4. Add the honey if using and mix well.
5. Heat a frying pan and add 1tsp of coconut oil.
6. When the pan is hot, ladle in your pancake mix and swish around the pan to get a nice thin layer.
7. Flip the pancake when starting to bubble and cook for a further minute until other side is cooked.
8. Repeat with the rest of the batter and enjoy with fresh lemon and honey!