Zoats (Zucchini Oats) have elbowed their way into my life and I’m now pretty obsessed with the dreamy combo.
I’ve been eating a lot of porridge lately but when I haven’t had a smoothie for breakfast and realise it’s midday and I haven’t eaten any veggies yet, sometimes I feel a little guilty. So Zoats are the perfect package of grains and veg! They are also a great way of sneaking more veggies into your kid’s diet and I actually prefer the texture they bring to a big bowl of warming porridge.
This recipe is teamed with turmeric and cinnamon for an added health boost, insulin resistance and skin glow! I’ve also added a scoop of chia seeds for protein and omega 3.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 1)
- 40g oats (I like to soak mine overnight to reduce cooking time but this is optional)
- 1/2 zucchini (courgette) grated
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup plant based milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Add the oats to a pan and add water until they are just covered cooking on a medium heat.
- Grate in the zucchini and add the cinnamon and turmeric, stirring continuously.
- Once the oats have soaked up most of the water, add the milk and stir slowly.
- Pour the chia seeds in and mix until they are well combined.
- If you prefer your porridge with a lot of liquid then add some more milk or if you prefer it thicker, keep mixing until it has reached your preference.
- Serve with toppings of your choice (mine is always frozen raspberries, hemp seeds and peanut butter).
- Enjoy! 🙂